Raices Taller 222 Art Gallery & Workshop
"Dia de los Muertos - 2019"
November 2 - November 16, 2019
CALL TO ARTISTS
Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a cultural celebration in the tradition of our Mexican heritage. This beautiful and sincere event includes artwork as well as personal tributes and remembrances in the form of altars & ofrendas by individuals, families and community groups honoring those that have passed. This exhibition also celebrates Raices Taller 222 Art Gallery & Workshop’s 23rd anniversary!
PLEASE CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING WHEN SUBMITTING WORK:
Dia de los Muertos is our traditional celebration of our raices (roots) in southern Arizona. It is also our gallery’s annual anniversary. In order to keep the celebration sincere and non-commercial, we are asking artists to refrain from submitting images not traditionally associated with Dia de los Muertos as celebrated in the Hispanic Southwest and Mexico.
Examples of non-traditional images include photos of parades, images portraying zombie calaveras & skulls with sewn mouths as well as inappropriate images for children and families.
Remember - Dia de los Muertos is not Halloween. Submitted entries should adhere to and reflect the traditional and celebratory aspects associated with Dia de los Muertos. Please keep in mind that the work will be more suitable for our celebration if it incorporates the styles, symbols and general meaning of Dia de los Muertos.
1. All 2 dimensional artwork must be complete and ready for installation with appropriate hanging hardware, wires, and/or frames.
2. All 3 dimensional artwork must be complete and ready for installation. Sculpture consideration includes size, suitability for the display environment, and safety.
1. Maximum of 3 submissions per artist to be reviewed
2. To submit electronically, email jpeg images of your work to be reviewed to by end of day Saturday, October 19, 2019. In your email, please include your name and telephone number as well as the name of each piece, dimensions, medium and price. Entries not containing this information will not be considered.
3. To submit in person, bring in your work to be reviewed to the gallery on Monday October 28, 2019 or Tuesday October 29, 2019 from 4 - 7 pm.
4. When pricing your work, please keep in mind that the gallery percentage is 30% of the total sale price.
5. If you have not done so in the past, please provide us with a recent artist's resume or bio.
NOTE: If your submission is accepted, a suggested donation of $30 helps us to recover the costs associated with representing and marketing your artwork. However, as a 501(C)(3) educational nonprofit, any amount you are able to donate is appreciated and benefits our organization, our mission and our work in the community. We are a 100% volunteer-run organization so 100% of your donations helps to keep us going!
Muchas gracias and we look forward to your submissions and participation!
RAICES TALLER 222 ART GALLERY & WORKSHOP
218 E. 6th Street
Tucson, AZ 85705
Raices Taller 222 Art Gallery & Workshop is Tucson's only Latino based nonprofit cooperative contemporary art gallery located in the
Historic Warehouse District
Follow us on FaceBook!